Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dreams

Graduation day from Professional Thai Cooking course. 

Dreams are reality waiting to materialize.

I think it was Will Rogers who said: “You can be on the right track but if you don’t keep movin the train will run you over.”   The New Year is here and this is when the blogs are about setting resolutions and making goals.   Last year marked the end and of one and the beginning of another decade.  I have been using a 10 yr planner the last 30 years.  They work and it is truly amazing what happens when we allow ourselves to dream.
three monkeys

The Hot 100 list.  Making a list of goals is not always as easy as making a club sandwich but in some ways it is very similar.  A club sandwich has 5 basic ingredients; bread, meat, poultry, dairy, and vegetable.  Goals come from 5 basic areas of life; spiritual, emotional, mental, physical, and financial. 
Dream Big

My Wife has not been able to put her list together and it has now been 13 months.  My son age 13 has not been able to make his list either.  I did mine on Jan 1, 2011 in less than 60 minutes.  Why?  Why is it easy for one person and not for others?

Three common reasons people don’t set goals:

1.       Fear: typically fear of failure is the root cause of failing to make goals.  Fear comes from not understanding that there is no such thing as failure when it comes to making a want list.

2.       Embarrassment:  Unfortunately we are conditioned to see reality from other people’s perspective, consequently when we find that our wants are different from our friends and family we are embarrassed and we begin to doubt our reality.

3.       Lack of Faith:  The ultimate effect of fear, embarrassment and doubt is a lack of faith in our own dreams and aspirations.

 Golden Rules to Making Hot 100 list:

·         Confidentiality:  the list is your list, it is not a term paper that needs to be graded or approved by anyone other than you;  it is a private document that is for your eyes only.

·         Mix it Up:  Goals are meant to attainable and dreams are meant to come true, think big, think impossible and think tomorrow.

·         Be, See, Do:   Use the five area of life as a guide and ask yourself what you want to be, see and do Physically, Emotionally, Mentally, Spiritually and Financially.

·         Faith:   It takes a great deal of courage to dream big dreams.  Faith gives us the power to face the unknown, knock down the self imposed barriers that stand in our way and create our own reality.  

I asked my wife why it was so hard for her to make the list and she said she had everything she wants.  She was visibly frustrated by her inability to complete the task and she knew her answer was not true but she simply does not know how to make a wish list.
Papa I want a pony
One way to get started:  Where do I want to go? What do I want to have?  What do I want to do?   Write what ever come to mind, this is a private wish list, be honest, and let the truth come out.  If I was guaranteed success what would I do, see and be?  Make the list, start with the simple and then reach a bit and assume the best and finally dream big dreams, think the unthinkable and keep working until you have your hot 100.
Doing business in NYC
It is 2012 and I am purging my 10 year hot 100 list of the things that I accomplished in 2011 and replacing them with new dreams and aspirations that I want to accomplish within the next 9 yrs. I will continue this count down until 2021; I will be 64 yrs old, fit, healthy and a fat man in paradise.

At the end of the day we are all part of a plan.  The question is; do we want to control our own destiny or be a cog in someone else’s plan? 
Foods On!
Go have some fun,

Geo

 lenjoy здоровой долгой жизни




2 comments: