Friday, March 9, 2012

Persistence and Perseverance (pt.2/3)

In a Ball
In Part one I touched on the virtues of patience and prudence and their valued role in a healthy lifestyle. The blog prior to that I contemplated the role of personal definition being defined through actions or thought. 

The “P” factor in personal growth and development.

1.        Patience

Accept that time is a part of the process in personal development

2.        Prudence

Thoughtful behavior reaps great rewards

3.        Persistence

Never give up or quit

4.        Perseverance

Staying the course earns a drink from the victory cup

my motivation

I believe that there are two key elements in seeing dreams come true. One is to have a clear idea of what I want and second is to believe that I am worthy of having whatever it is I desire.  Dreams require work, first of all they have to be important enough to never give up on and secondly they must be meaningful enough to be worth waiting for.  Thirdly they require due diligence, with responsible behavior and finally they should be enjoyed.

When I was a little boy I wanted more and my mother would tell me, money does not grow on trees; at night I would dream of money trees.  I also dreamed of candy trees and was disappointed when I awoke to find that the neither the bags of gold or candy were waiting for me. For many years our next door neighbor was our family doctor.  I loved it when the Doc threw parties, he loved to have fun and his house would be full of laughter and carefree cheer.  One of my first goals was to be a Doctor or a Priest, both choices thrilled my mother and both required far more prudence towards my studies and behavior than I was willing to dedicate and neither materialized. 

arriving in Mysore
Some dreams and goals are more than wants and desires and over time become a part of whom we are.  This is the transition from chasing a dream to living a dream.  When I recognized that I have what I want and am doing what I like I realized that I am living my dream. Life is not meant to be a struggle and by simply appreciating and cherishing my beautiful family, good health and good fortune life became easy.  

my hired car
I left LAX on the 19th of March in 1996, ready to visit Ooty; a mountain village in the south of India just north of Mysore.  I arrived on February 29th, 2012.  
 It took me sixteen years to see this dream come true, not because it was impossible to go sooner but because I deemed it not prudent to make the trip earlier.  For sixteen years I have been living in S.E. Asia and persistently explaining that the reason I am here is because I was on my way to Ooty and never made it; India was a goal that persevered.


What has impressed me the most about southern India is, the ease in which the population moves in what appears to be utter chaos.  The trains are not bullets or modern but they run on time; far better than Amtrak.  The service staff is not highly paid yet they are friendly, helpful and gracious. The country had more than 6% GNP growth last year and is booming, construction is thriving, roads, bridges, and buildings are springing up everywhere.  Within all the rapid change there is a population that holds on to what it believes in, where men and women do not cohort and dancing in public is forbidden.  Education is held in high regard as is work ethic.  As I sat and observed the impoverished working around me I could not help but be impressed by the smiles on the faces of the window cleaners, porters, and maids. They may not have much but they are patient, prudent, and persistent and diligently do their duties to persevere.

A family from Bangalore

I am a traveler that is what I do.  I enjoy the road, the sights and sounds of new and unknown places and I am willing to sacrifice my comforts to explore new worlds and cultures.  It is the humility in humanity that comes from the less fortunate in the world that leaves me feeling humble and grateful for my good fortune in family, love and health.  Worth is not in what we have but how we hold it.

Go have some fun.




Geo

 Live well and happy






No comments:

Post a Comment