Sunday, May 6, 2012

Discovery Part ll


view from Coit tower in SFO
In part I of this topic I was delving into the importance of being true to one’s self and my effort to help my 8 yr old son develop an American Identity.
Oregon coast

Kennedy Space Center Fl.


Busch Garden








The issue for me was his mixed cultured and genetic makeup; multi heritage gene pool from me and Chinese genealogy from his mother.  The fact that he had never been to the USA was also a factor in my decision to think he would benefit from an extended visit in America.
Baseball
Busted

Friends
Welcome to America

In my mind Popee would experience a culture shock that would make him realize that being an American is more than having a passport.   Our first stop was in San Francisco where we booked a room near little Italy.  His first American bus ride ended up being a joke on me.  I felt like an apple in an egg crate but he felt right at home; China town boarders little Italy, the bus was full of people who looked just like him.
giant red wood slide eureka Ca.
Trail Ride


Jedi training

SFO cable car
Grand Canyon


Sadona Az

Rocky Mountain 4x4


American  truck
driving range Oklahoma



We based ourselves in the Colorado Rockies; Pagosa Springs for 30 days. We arrived just in time to celebrate the 4th of July festivities with family and friends.  I wanted him to experience what in my opinion is the best America has to offer. During our stay he went four wheel driving, horseback riding, fishing and camping and roasted marsh mellows over an open fire and learned how to use a knife. He went to the public library, played golf with a new friend and enjoyed doing what kids do; play. 
popee with his sis, bro, niece and nephew
with bro Dom at Mt. Rushmore





Old Faithful
Elk Horn Arch way Jason Hole Wyo







Buffalo Yellowstone

Drive through tree N. Ca.



Expectation

That trip was meant to educate and help Popee understand that the United States of America is more than strip malls and fast food.  I expected him to feel out of place and like a foreigner. In the end my expectations were just that; all mine. Popee had no expectations, he was just being Popee.

Co. Rockies
Co. Back yard BBQ


His 1st walking stick
Playing with fire


Pitching his 1st tent
Red Ryder Rodeo Pagosa Co.




4th of July parade Pagosa Springs  Co.

Conclusion

I see the world in a completely different way than my son.  I am a child of the 50’s raised in mid America where a stranger was quickly recognized. Popee is a Bali baby from the island of Gods.  He has lived his entire life interacting with international tourist and residence.  I was raised in an environment where change came slow and life was predictable. Popee has been raised in flux, literally every day can bring unexpected change; the people who are corner stone’s of his childhood such as a caretaker, class mates and school teacher can and do disappear overnight without notice or warning.  The nature of living with tourists is one of change and Zen in the lesson that peace is in not having attachment.



                                                                  
                                                          Niagra Falls


My Discovery

What did I discover during my effort to help my son with his identity?  That he did not need my help.  Popee is quite happy being Popee and accepts himself as he is.  As for me I learned that where ever I go, there I am and where I am does not define who I am.  I learned more about myself and discovered that my emotional baggage travels with me. I realized that the road to peace and happiness is in finding the path that allows me to accept what was as the past and what is, is now.  My preconceived notions are mine and mine alone and I do not require others to validate my worth.  I was awaken to the value of family and good friends and experienced the peace and power of unconditional love and acceptance.

Change

D the boys and I will be making a move to the USA in the near future, I still have not chosen where we will base ourselves; quality education, weather, and family activities are my core requirements. Some of our friends are mystified by the uncertainty of our plan and I can understand why they have concerns.  I do not expect others to comprehend how simple it is for us to accept change because no one else has had the benefit of our children’s willingness to teach us that change is good.

Go have some fun,
Ready for more

Geo

Viva para hoje




No comments:

Post a Comment