Sunday, May 13, 2012

It is Fun Being Fat

153kg/336lb
The last six months has had me doing frequent long haul international travel unlike I have ever experienced before.  In Oct/Nov Donya and I went to the USA and I did my Great American Food Challenge. Feb/March had me in the south of India buying essential oils and arriving at my original travel destination from16 yrs ago; Mysore and Ooty.  I am writing this Blog from my hotel in Bangkok as I prepare to depart for the USA where I will explore the West Coast, East Coast, and Mid America. It is an understatement to say that travel has affected my fitness training schedule.

My boys with Tingyu
My journey to North America in November ended with a slight increase in weight; 2kg/4.4lb. I have proceeded to add another 8kg/17.6lb since then.  I am up 10kg/22lb, and feeling it; my clothes are stressing.  The increased girth is one issue and my goal weight is another; I am now 30kg/66lb away from my target weight.

I have been managing my weight and training for more than a decade and the one constant during all the process of weight control is gym time; training equals weight control for me. If I do not do the minutes the weight scale climbs consequently my erratic schedule has had me yo-yoing 1kg/2.2lb to 3kg/6.6lb with no continuous drops in more than 3 months. 
just passing through
I went through a short period of depression which affected my training; I was going through the motions but I was not present.  I did all my routines but none of them with zest or vigor and I was not getting results, my endurance was down; I could not do 60 minutes cardio and I was feeling defeated.  Then the inspirational sun began to shine and I was motivated and ready to rebuild my strength and endurance and reach a the 240 minute mark.


dark skies never last

The Other day I was on the elliptical machine pushing myself at a 1,000 calorie kill per hour burn rate. I was into my 180th minute of pure cross training, dripping wet and feeling strong; my body was talking to me and I was proud to be back on track. I looked out the gyms window and noticed the sun shining bright on a group of tanned tourist as they strolled along the shore line; beer in hand and enjoying their holiday.  That’s when I heard a voice say: “It is fun to be fat” I had to smile and agree it is much more fun being fat then busting my ass in the gym and I realized I was talking to myself. 

climb the mountain
                                                       
Of course being fat is not fun. I hated the days when I woke every morning angry and with pain; in my back, knees and feet.  I never want to relive the time when I could not tie my shoes without sitting and could not move without being winded.   I cannot imagine how I would ever want to be fat again or believe that being fat is fun.


it is important to be flexible
I am a fatty, the same as an alcoholic is always an alcoholic and a drug addict is a druggy. I am always a binge away from morbid obesity.  The problem is my addictive personality, I do not enjoy fragments; I want it all.  My subconscious is my enemy it blocks out all the truths and negatives of being fat and romanticizes all the things that get me fat; drinking copious amounts beer, and over indulging in my favorite pastas and desserts. 

there is always a way to find a way to move
I am a fat man and if I want to be a fit, healthy and happy fatty I cannot be emotional about food.  I must make the smart choices; greens, reds and yellows before white. Broiled, boiled and baked or steamed before fried.  The truth is it is not too difficult to control my weight as long as I stay alert and rational about my eating behavior.  It is never fun being fat,  it is fun getting fat and it is 10 times more fun being a fit and healthy Fat Man in Paradise.



look at that smile
Go have some fun.

Geo 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment