Monday, June 18, 2012

Transition Step 1


putting my toe to the sand
Change typically accompanies unexpected and unplanned challenges and pleasure.  It has been proven that during times of transformation our minds are more alert and creativity comes more easily.  Life altering paths also have the tendency to create a great deal of stress and instigate fright, flight and fight mechanisms. Change is a challenge for even the strongest of spirits.


 Dom and Tingyu enjoying the sun

My wife and I are following a 10 year plan and over the last 5 years we have gradually begun making the mental transition to American.   Our first step was taking Popee to the states for four months.  This trip was an opportunity for me to introduce him to the country.  Our first month was spent in northern California; from there we stayed in the Colorado Rockies.  After a month of mountain life we made a road trip down to Florida, up to Maine, north to Niagara Falls and west to Kansas City for a family visit and then finished off the trip with a hard push through the Dakotas and into Yellowstone and Washington State before returning south to San Francisco for our departure to Thailand. We clocked just over 15,000 miles on our drive and for the most part our mission was accomplished; Popee was exposed to the beauty America has to offer and the first step of our plan had been taken.

Savannah Ga. board walk
The following year, Popee, Phoenix, Donya and I returned and during the 30 days we were here we went to Southern California, the Rockies and to visited the Family in Kansas City.  D and I were not only vacationing we were also looking for possible homesteads.  After this trip D was leaning towards KC because it is where our family is and I was pro Colorado because it is beautiful and where family is.

following the sun

Our next step was to send Popee to KC for a full summer holiday with his cousins. There was a dual purpose in this move.  Many of our associates send their children abroad to boarding schools; Donya and I agreed that if Popee wanted to stay with his cousins we would consider that as an alternative plan. The boy had a great summer but was not willing to live without us in KC.

branching out
Realizing that time was of the essence Donya and I visited the east coast; NYC, NJ, VA, Florida and Kansas City and Colorado that autumn with the intent of locating our new base of operation. Our parameters became clear; good schools with smaller class sizes in or near a large population base.

Phoenix in the Hua Hin garden

2012 arrived and we were now only 8 months away from seeing a 120 month plan come together.  The final leg had arrived and we had not decided where we would root.  Breaking away from Samui was not going to be easy, our other business projects were beginning to gain momentum and we were comfortable.

leaving home
Experience has taught me that discomfort can results in great beginnings.  I booked my flights to the States with the intent that I would not return without locating our new homestead.  I searched each area with a critical eye and I tried to imagine what daily living would be for an 8 and 14 yr old boy.  At times I honestly felt like I was out of my depth; I am 56 yrs old, how can I comprehend what it is to be an 8yr old in 2012?    I released myself to faith and was led to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina where the schools are great, the beaches are long and white, the sun shines bright and the pace moves slow; it feels like a Fat Man’s Paradise.







New Beginnings
Operating in two continents at the same time presents more questions than answers and requires undoubting faith and responsible, pragmatic behavior. 


                                             papa was a rolling stone

Walking in faith lead me to Hilton Head Island, 3,665 days has ticked down to a matter of hours. There is no way to stop time, it keeps moving even when we don’t.  When we know what we want, living in faith will lead us to all our dreams.

Reality is what we choose to believe and nothing happens without movement.  Dream big dreams; roll up your sleeves, put on your boots, thank God for life and go make something happen.  It is your life, own it.  
Dom and Ting

Go have some fun,

Geo

   


No comments:

Post a Comment