Sunday, July 15, 2012

Never Too Old to Get Better


some things are timeless

I was having a conversation with the mother of my dearest friend, she has known me for 50 yrs and I must admit the time we shared was completely enjoyable; she is inspiring, involved, evolved and in many ways a role model.   I have interacted with many seniors over the last two months; ranging in age from 60 to 85. Some are new to retirement, and others are still working, a few are widowed and dating and others are in long term marriages or divorced.   

These groups of people have more than age in common they share a time in history when people had fewer choices.  For all but a few their world was their neighborhood and family.  Education was optional but work was mandatory, none of them grew up in an era of entitlements; everyone was expected to produce if they wanted to eat.  They made their opportunities and were willing to pay the price to make their life better.   
Never to old to grow
One lady in her mid 80’s did not go to school until she was married with children and in her 30’s; from that experience she discovered her love of reading and took a speed reading course. Today in her mid 80’s she will read a book a day from cover to cover.  Her love for the written word led her to writing and in her mid 40’s began writing articles for the local newspapers which she continues to do today.  She is in her mid 80’s widowed, dating, sews quilts, minding flowers, volunteering in community events, suffers through failing health and perseveres. 

Another woman I met who is in her 70’s was raised on a farm, has lived a life full of emotional and physical challenges, her 1st husband divorced and left her with 3 children, she has survived cancer and its barbaric cures and has recently been widowed from her soul mate.  She is an inspiration to others as she continues to keep a positive outlook on life, is spry and a political activist, stays fit, watches her diet and looks many years younger than her age.
take time to enjoy natures beauty

I have a sister who labored on a 1,000 acre Oklahoma farm for many years to make sure her two young boys had a good life. When the oldest son headed to university she joined her husband and began driving a long haul truck. The last email I received from her was from their sail boat anchored in the Caribbean. Today they literally go where the winds blow them. 

My mentor is in his mid 70’s and an immigrant, he received his PHD from a school thousands of miles away from family and friends, has been divorced and remarried,  raised several beautiful children, stays fit and thrives working at his business.

In California I met a real estate agent in her 70’s with a thriving book of listings and rental properties and in Colorado an owner of a bed and breakfast, in South Carolina a realtor/broker/attorney widow in her mid 80’s who is traveling between southern Florida and South Carolina, they are all taking care of themselves and have no plans to retire.

What I discovered during my encounters with seniors is how making the decision to read for pleasure improved my ability to converse intelligently with others.  By exposing myself to the literary works, I broadened my exposure to the world of fantasy, and adventure such as Dick Francis and his jockey detective stories or Clive Cussler and his adventure hero Dirk Pitt or Wilber Smith and his African exploits.  16 years ago I would have had no idea what people were referring to when they talked of classics such as “On the Road Again” or “Death of Salesman”.  

I did not begin reading for enjoyment until I was 40 years old and by making that choice I have become more open to new ideas, a better listener and interactive person. I have a broader perspective of the world and reading has enriched my life and worth.

 Aging is nothing more than a matter of time; stay busy, inspired and active and good health and a long life will follow.

Go have some fun,


Geo  




No comments:

Post a Comment