Monday, June 13, 2011

Changing Our Vocabulary


Words can actually work in helping us stay motivated, what I mean by that is the vocabulary we choose to use when we discuss our program can motivate or stifle our progress.    One of the nice things about having a partner that does not speak English as a first language is some of the things she says makes me re frame my own way of thinking.  For instance I was in the habit of saying I am going to” work out”.  When my wife decided to join me at the gym, she would say   “I’m going to play”.  At first I was a bit thrown by this until I realized “working out” did not translate and for her “playing” meant the same thing.
Once I understood the situation I saw the possible benefits of changing my vocabulary and make it easier for me to stay on track.
Workout vs. Train
 I dropped “ working Out” from my vocabulary and switched it to” Training” because that is what I am doing and honestly going to” train” is much easier for me to accept mentally, than going to work. 
Diet vs. watching what I eat/ controlling what I eat
Let’s face it Diets don’t work for fat people because there is no such thing as a short term program for long term results.  “Controlling What I eat” and “Watching what I eat” is something that I can do for short and long term results.
Lose Weight vs. Toning Up
It seems to me that I have always been able to find any weight that I have ever lost. “Losing weight” is a myth for a fat man, but I can “Tone Up” and become smaller in the process.
Cheat vs. Free Day
I’ve never met a person who was controlling what they eat,  who from time to time did not want to have a free day to satisfy a craving, this is normal human behavior so why twist ourselves with guilt, and shame buy using the word cheat?  Get rid of it and you will never cheat again.
Exercise vs. Burn Calories
Exercise conjures up images of sweat and pain but the goal of movement is to Burn Calories and almost everything burns calories.  A great web site to get an idea of what movement burns how many calories is written by Lance Armstrong; http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/fitness/exercise
Sex for an hour can burn 145 calories. Gardening can burn 300 to 400 calories an hr. Cooking Burns an avg. of 140 calories an hr. watching a movie even burns 65 calories an hr. So you see everything burns calories which help in toning up.
 In my opinion getting started on a healthy life style is not difficult but the real challenge is in sticking with it.  Which is why it is helpful to re frame our thinking towards doing the positive things that need to be done to get to where we want to go and changing our vocabulary is one method of making our dreams come true.
Go have some fun,
Geo


No comments:

Post a Comment