Sunday, July 17, 2011

Intention vs. Mechanism


I do a few small projects around the house; refinishing, digging, decorating, rearranging, and constructing.   With many of these projects I have no idea how to get started and or what the finished product should look like.  Sometimes I feel like I have gotten in way over my head such as when the supply company dumps a truck load of gravel or sand in the drive and I am the only person to move it or when I want to dig a pit and my whole body jars when I try to put my spade in the rock hard soil.  That’s when I ask myself, "how to eat an elephant" and I hit the project one shovel, one bucket, and one step at a time.
I typically enroll my boys into helping me with my handy work, and when we are done we stand back and admire our labor.   Last time I asked  them was it will power or the way you worked that got the jobs done?  I didn’t expect an answer but I wanted to make them think.  I asked each of them how they helped, they did the same job so the answer was the same.  The difference is in how they did the labor.  If it is moving sand the older boy may use a wheel barrel while the younger will use a bucket.  If it is sanding a table the older may employee an orbital sander, the younger will use a block and sand paper.  If it staining, the elder may try doing French finish while junior uses a brush. They never get to the finish line the same way hence the answer is 100% intention is what gets the job done. The how is not important, without the will nothing happens.

As a Fat Man in Paradise, I can testify that my program is an ever changing scheme of mechanisms and that without intention nothing happens.   The whole lot began with an idea; intention is what makes everything materialize.


I am frequently asked how I dropped my weight. I have gotten to the point where I simply answer; “watch what I eat and go to the gym”.  More times than not the reply will be;” Oh I wish I had time but”, or “I try to eat the right foods but”. 

 “BUT” cancels out intention; there are no “Buts” in successfully getting healthy and fit.   When intention is present the will power is there to decide what we want.  When we are clear about what we want then we can make a plan, follow the plan and do all the things we should and avoid doing the things we shouldn’t and we will get where we want to go. 
 The process may be daunting, but honestly it is just like eating an elephant; one bite at a time.
Go have some fun
Geo

No comments:

Post a Comment