Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kids and fitness


feeling special
I am confident that we have all heard the saying: “a family that plays together stays together” I know I have, unfortunately I can probably count on one hand the number of times my father took me out and threw the ball, hiked, road a bike or did anything for any extended period of time with me other than watch the TV or go out to eat; and he did more with me then my mother.
Old man has me happy (not)

Adults are Children who have grown into what they saw, learned and did when they were young. The learning curve for healthy lifestyle and fitness is relatively short.  In all fairness to my parent’s physical activity for me was not an issue that required much of their attention because between P.E. at school, riding my bike and playing different pickup games with the neighborhood kids I probably never had a 2 hour period of non activity until I was ready for bed.    Things have changed Parents can no longer depend on the schools to exercise their children.  Televisions are no longer limited to 4 channels nor are they the only source of audio video entertainment.    I have a friend who told me when he was a child the only remote control his overweight father had was, him.
Most things that occupy our children’s time today are automated.  Listening to music; plug in an iPod and hundreds of songs play with not need to move.  Watch a movie; turn on the hard drive and hundreds of hours of mesmerizing images appear.  Play a game means turn on a computer.  Physical activity is becoming foreign language in many homes and the results can be seen in the waist line of today’s adolescents.   The responsibility to put movement into our children’s life is real and necessary.
                                                          2 brothers from other mothers dom and popee age 12
Physical activity builds strength, coordination and confidence.  A recommended game plan is:
·         Have your child vigorously and moderately active for a minimum of one hour per day, this can be broken into 15 minute intervals
·         Avoid periods of more than 2 hours without physical activity.
 When we condition our children to be active we are helping them develop a lifestyle of being healthy adults. Studies have proven that active children and adults have better health, more positive outlook, and suffer fewer injuries; running, jumping and laughing all release endorphins that promote growth and make our young ones strong.
                                                       popee and phoenix hitting the bags phoenix age 6
Let’s do our children a great service by leading the way to a lifestyle of physical fitness.  They will develop a positive sense of self worth; build strong bodies and immune systems to defend against serious illness such as diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure, live long joyful, fun life’s and thank you for it.
Go have some Fun
Geo
kicking back in bali


No comments:

Post a Comment