Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Great American Challenge

                                                           http://youtu.be/LHLDk6ofjYI
Over the next few weeks I will be blogging while I am traveling to different parts of the United States, where I will be food tasting and participating at various health and fitness centers located in the cities I am visiting. 

                                                                                 Miami


                                                                               Denver

This will be an extended tour of the east coast; I plan on spending about 3 weeks there and a couple of weeks in the mid west; Colorado and Kansas City.  I’ll be visiting New York, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Washington D.C., Virginia, N. Carolina, and both coast of Florida.

                                                                         Kansas City
Once again I am faced with the challenge of travel and weight control.  Normally I would not be too concerned if this was a simple trek to another location in Asia; I could control my meals easily enough but this is a trip home which means traveling directly into the belly of the beast of tasty trans-fats.
The Challenge: How to maintain or drop my weight and enjoy eating everything I want? 
Make a Plan:  
1.   Stay Active: Make sure to continue to do my daily training.  This will probably require the most conscious effort as I will be driving for long stretches of time and sightseeing.   Also I will need to formulate a the calorie intake before I partake to insure I burn enough during training to allow me to eat as I please.

2.   Know what I want to eat: This too requires a bit of planning as it is determined by cravings for desired taste and texture.  The good news is my palate has changed since I moved to Asia consequently I crave vegetarian and micro biotic foods too.  My wish list for the first leg of this tour is below.   I believe as long as I stick to my list, limit snacking to healthy foods such as fruit and nuts and keep the portions under control, I can stay under 3,000 calories per day, burn the excess off in training and walk away from NYC and the North East at a push weight.
NYC food hit list:
·         Cheese cake from Juniors on Broadway
·         Vegetarian from Havana Central in the theater district
·         Chinese from Wu Laing Ye in Mid town east theater district
·         Rack of lamb from Becco’s Italian restaurant in the theater district
·         Pizza from Patzeria Perfect Pizza W. 46th Street.
·         Sushi from Ruby Foo’s on Broadway
·         Monster size  deli sandwich from Carnegie Deli
·         Hamburger from Burger Joint mid town west
·         Hot Dog from Gray’s Papaya
·         Milk Shake from Toscanini’s in Cambridge, Ma
·         Fresh Maine Lobster in Maine
Thirty days of extended travel for business or pleasure is long enough to undue any healthy habits I have in place and one month is long enough to rekindle and develop any unhealthy behavior I have put to bed long ago.  In preparation for this trip I have quit smoking, started eating a high protein vegetarian meal plan and gone off the booze.   I am projecting the heavy fats that I plan to indulge in while in NYC will be enough of a shock to my system that my body will flush them instead of store them. I expect to eat what I please but I will pace myself so that each treat is a dining delight.
Being on the road for a Fat Man in Paradise has the potential to be an extremely stressful and destructive situation.  I am aware of my weaknesses and I believe I have the power and self control to make this journey a prosperous, fun filled and successful venture.
The coming weeks will be full of pictures, movies and updates, enjoy the read.
Go have some fun,
A great night in Paradise
Geo


No comments:

Post a Comment