Thursday, October 6, 2011

Motivation

Phoenix at Cha Am beach
There has been so much written about ways to trigger motivation that to write about it almost feels like beating a dead horse consequently I am simply going to share what I have learned about myself and readers may or may not relate. 

the way out
From a very early age there was only one thing I was certain of; I was meant to be somewhere else. When I was a youngster and going to school I was not a good student, an active member of the student body, an athlete or an outcast, I just did my time, had some fun and tried to understand why I felt like I was waiting for something else.

mom, me at age 19, 78kg/172lb
I was blessed with a very accepting and supportive Mother and Father who always made me feel they believed in me no matter how many mistakes I made.  The Parents of my two closest friends were also encouraging and open minded and because they treated me with respect rather than suspect, I felt a bit more secure and inspired to dream big dreams.
My staff photo in Sanur Bali
My 13 yrs old son and I were talking about what motivates us to take action.  As a parent to a young man and in the role of his sage I wanted to be careful what I said.  I thought back to my youth and the answer came to me, immediately, clear as day without a second thought.
 I get motivated when:
1.       I’m told I can’t do something.
When I am told, that I am dreaming and that what I want to do cannot be done, that is like putting fuel on my fire.  I don’t like being told that I cannot accomplish what I want and that motivates me to take action.

2.       I’m being underestimated.
The greatest gift someone can give me is to underestimate me, I love it. Please underestimate me when it matters and I will come on top 90% of the time.  Being underestimated floats my boat and puts wind in my sail.


The older I get the fewer challenges come my way consequently I realize it is up to me to challenge myself.  It is interesting in, that time, place and purpose change but the motivation, is as it was and always has been;   a quest to find greatness.
Pops and me at age 28, 95kg/209lb

To study is to learn, to experience is to know.  People can read about the agony of defeat and the joy in victory but there is no substitute for experiencing the emotional highs or lows of either.  Life is meant to be full of meaningful exploration whether that is a walk in the garden, watching children play, or riding a bike 20 miles if it is what we determine to do for ourselves it is what is meant to be and the right thing to be doing.
music motivates me
At the end of the day we all have the choice to sit and let the days pass us by or to be active, and make the most of each day as if it is our last day.  I choose to live my days, my way, always.
Go have some fun,
Geo

No comments:

Post a Comment