Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Liver


A big belly 140kg/308lb
When I was in my late teens I was invited to a religious meal at the family home of my Jewish roommate.  That was the first time I had ever tasted chopped chicken  liver; I made such a pig of myself I was never invited for a return visit.  As a child being raised in the farmland of Mid America, my mother used Cows liver as a nutritious source of iron for my sisters, dad, me and our pets. 
 Kansas City Steak house
For most of my life I have considered Liver a food source and until recently have given very little thought to its vital function as a human organ and quite frankly I find its function easier to understand when I think of it as an auto part.  
Shelby concept Car
If the liver was an auto part it would be part of the fuel management system. 
A.      Fuel filter
Detoxification, metabolizing and secreting of drugs, alcohol and other toxins
B.      Converter
Turns the food we eat into fuel for the brain and body
C.      Fuel regulator
Stores vitamins and minerals and release them into the system as needed





In a nut shell everything from air pollution, drugs, alcohol and food ends up being filtered, processed, and refined for discard or delivery by the liver.  Given this information it is not hard to understand the term “liver abuse” and why there are some common liver diseases.
1.       Fatty Liver
This happens when people are overweight, diabetic, have high cholesterol or triglycerides or abuse alcohol.
2.       Cirrhosis
This happens from too much alcohol intake and at its most serious level leads to liver failure.
3.       Drug injury
The liver processes all medicines and chemicals before converting them for delivery to the body, some drugs have the ability to attack and damage the liver.  
4.        Hepatitis
There are 5 viruses that can cause this A, B, C, D and E
This typically results in severe liver damage

Rocky mountain high
Easy ways to take care of your liver:
·         Balanced diet: rich in a variety of fruits, vegetables, and proteins
·         Limit Alcohol:  Booze hurts, dump it or limit it.
·         Beware of medication: take it only as directed and beware of supplements
·         Train regularly: exercise will reduce the fat levels your liver must deal with.
·         Wash your Hands:  Just like mother said before you eat and after the toilet
The Liver is such an important part of my body that I feel a bit ashamed of how much I have abused it.  Uncontrolled drinking binges, extended periods on a wide variety of chemicals, cigarette smoking, over eating, and overweight.   By all accounts I have been abusing my live in one shape or form for a minimum of 45 years.  Having said this, one constant I have had through thick and thin is time in the gym which in my mind validates; consistent and regular body movement can retard and prevent liver disease and damage. 


Go have some fun,
Geo

1 comment: