Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Great American Challenge leg II

Miami sky

Leg I started in New York City, took me into the New England States and the Virginia coast line.  Healthy food and fitness facilities were readily available and I concluded phase one with no weight gain.
Leg II Began in Miami. 



in the gardens



Swaying Palm trees, sun shine, blue sky, white sand beaches with cool sea breezes and an international appeal; I felt like I was at home on Koh Samui.  This was my first visit to Miami, our first stop was at the Pritikin center, located near the Miami airport.  We were treated to a tour by Marie Kohut an executive facility counselor and a successful participant of the Pritikin program; she dropped more than 70lb and has maintained a healthy lifestyle for more than 8 yrs.  Without a doubt the Pritikin Program is the gold standard for wellness centers and worthy of global distribution.
When we arrived in downtown Miami, I was pleasantly surprised by the abundance of walking paths, beach board walks, and a bicycle network; a system of bicycle stations to rent and park community bikes.  There were a number of gyms available in most neighborhoods I toured and I was able to enjoy a 2 hour morning walk and return to my hotel for $2:00 on a city bus.


beach boardwalk

bike network





   We moved north from Miami to Jacksonville and south to Gainesville then Orlando and finally back to Miami.   Without question Miami was the easiest place to eat smart and burn calories. 
The first food I sampled was Cuban, I had eaten Cuban food in Los Angeles and it was much healthier then what I had in Miami.  The combination plate of pork, chicken, beef, beans, rice and planter banana, in my opinion was salty, fatty and the least appetizing of any food I have eaten. 
I found eating smart a challenge in Florida, and even though there are plenty of places to train it takes more effort than walking down the street to the local gym.  Fast food and chain restaurants seem to be the most popular types of eateries.  While we visited Disney World we were happy to find trail mix on offer along with fresh fruits.

ribs, grilled chicken and vegs
ceasar salad and Margarita special

endless chips and salsa






We shared plates at a Chili and an Apple Bees both had low cal menu on offer and both served healthy, tasty food for reasonable prices with large portions.  The two most memorable meals came from Orlando’s Texas Road House and Grand Lux Café located in Fort Lauderdale.  The Road House served the most delicious New York Strip steak that I can remember ever sinking my teeth into, it was prepared and seasoned perfectly with just enough charcoal grills flavoring to send my taste buds into an orgasmic frenzy that lasted until the next day.  A seven layer chocolate fudge cake from Grand Lux Café was so decadent I could not pass up the opportunity indulge and it was as delicious as it looked. 

fresh tomato

meat department
  I have family in Orlando so I was able to shop in the local grocery store and prepare a home cooked meal.  The fresh food section had an abundance of quality meats and fish and the store also offered a well stocked Asian section for authentic spices.  At the end of the day in my opinion Florida is a place where people love to drive fast big vehicles and eat fast big plates of food.  The smart choices are available and being used but require an extra effort to find.

NY strip with onion, mushroom and stuffed potato
Seven layers of heaven






 One of the best discoveries was the YMCA, my wife and Cousin Susie participated in Sumba class and I used the facilities for an excellent cardio routine with plenty of free weights and a clean locker room available.  Watching the 3 and 4 year olds basketball league was heart warming and hilarious.

my slice
Phase II final results; Florida cuisine got the better of me and I gained 3lb/1.5kg.  My over indulgence without training ended up biting me in the rear.  Off to Denver and Phase III for what I hope proves to be healthier results.
Go have some fun.
Geo 

No comments:

Post a Comment