Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Phase V the Final leg State Side

The best way to sum up leg V is “whirl wind”
Thirty days away from home is always an adventure, traveling to the other side of the planet with a predetermined travel itinerary is time effective and trends to blur mental and visual clarity.
We departed JFK on Tuesday morning and by Thursday morning when I arrived on Samui I  knew I had underestimated  the time needed in the USA and could have used another 2 weeks on the ground to insure a satisfactory conclusion to an ambitious plan.

D at the falls.

The perfect song for the USA in my opinion is “America the Beautiful”.  The Lyrics seem to say it all; “O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain, for purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain”.
got some new gloves
looking for the pot of gold 
Leg four was me returning to my roots with dear friends and family.  Phase V had me returning to New York and the North East.
I felt that it would be unacceptable to not share the beauty of Niagara Falls and Washington DC with my wife consequently I was set for a long haul and hard run.  Departure day from KC began at 3:30 a.m.,  and ended in Auburn NY at 10:30 p.m.,  a 2 hr drive from Niagara.  The next morning we toured the Falls and were on the road to DC by mid day.  We were enjoying a walking tour of the Washington monument, the Lincoln memorial and other sights by 8:30 p.m. eventually bedding down by 11:30 p.m. in Maryland.  
Niagara Falls
The following day we got an early start and decided to return the rental car in NJ a day early so we could enjoy 2 final nights in Manhattan where we arrived around 10:30 p.m., with NYC being a place that never sleeps we were on the streets for a late night meal and cocktail. The following day we did a walking tour that took us to Central park, Times Square, and many points of interest between with one final meal. 

Washington Monument














Lincoln

In previous blogs I wrote about setting one’s own standard and what I believe being healthy means.
 “My view of being healthy is defined in being fit and agile.  When I am able to do and go to all the places that I dream of going, having all the fun I want to have, I am healthy, happy and fit.  To me being healthy and fit means; I am agile enough to walk long distances 5 to 10 miles, climb 150 stairs, sit for long periods of time 5 to 24 hrs, and go sleepless for 24 hrs without severe fatigue setting in”.  
I could have focused more on eating health foods and stayed away from many of the Trans fats I consumed and I could have avoided many of the sweets I enjoyed.  Having said that, if my training program is not solid enough to remove a few extra pounds I gain from enjoying life’s little pleasures, what’s the point of spending my time in the gym?
This journey put my fitness, beliefs, and resolve to the test.  I am pleased to report, I would not change anything I did on this excursion.  I entered the belly of the beast and walked away enriched, enlightened and fulfilled.
Without question the United States of America is a special place and worth the effort and expense to visit.   Wherever you choose to travel, make sure to indulge in the local sights, sounds and cuisine.
Go have some fun,
Geo.






No comments:

Post a Comment