Friday, February 10, 2012

I Am so Focused I Do Not See

Popee

One of the issues of living on an island is getting transportation off;  Koh Samui is too great a distance from the mainland for a bridge and too near to fly consequently short trips to Surathani; the county seat,  means using the car ferry. 

D and Tingyu at samui look out

When we first moved here there were no large grocery suppliers or department stores on the island hence traveling to the mainland was a necessity that we scheduled once a month. I always viewed these excursions as a throwback to simpler times in history when farmers went to town for supplies; when neighbors worked together to keep each other’s families in stock.  Voyagers rarely returned from Surathani without a towering load of staples and luxuries such as toys, paper products; toilet paper, dry goods, reading material and other hard to find items.   There was no reserved seating or presale ticketing for the ferry hence the only way to insure a spot on the boat was to leave ones vehicle in line overnight and hitch a ride around 4:00am to catch the 5:00 a.m. departure. It was insane but it was an adventure.

magic garden samui
The situation has improved considerably since those days back in 2000.  Today there are two ferry companies with vessels departing every hour and a reservation system is in place so it is now easy to manage time.  Sometimes I will get an impulse to travel; go to the ferry port and drive directly on board which would have been considered a miracle in the past.  The system is reliable enough for my taste; to have taken the adventure out of the journey. 

Dom and Tingyu

I am preparing to leave for India later this month which means I had to make a quick day trip to Surathani for visa work. Typically during these 2 hour voyages, I sit in my vehicle, sleep, work on my projects or listen to music. I rarely go up on the pedestrian deck for anything other than a toilet break or a cup of coffee. 
phoenix flying on the deck
This trip was different, I decided to take a stroll; it was the 7:00 am ferry, the sun was just warming up and the morning air was cool and fresh. The ship was cutting smoothly through the water so rather than returning to my car; I took a seat next to the rail and looked at the world around me.  As I sat feeling the warm golden rays and enjoying the salt water fragrance carried by a cool misty sea breeze.  I opened my eyes and looked to the horizon. The scenery was beautiful; a chain of granite and green islands, sea life, and colorful fishing boats.  I felt foolish for allowing myself to fall into a pattern of being so focused on what will be that I have been ignoring what is.



I have a friend on Face book, she is grandmother, a wife and a homemaker; she has a full and busy life.  I enjoy reading her post because she trends to give a weather report from Mid America; where I was born and raised.  No matter what is happening in her life she is able to look out of doors and see the beauty.   If it is sunny she will sit on the porch and enjoy the sun.  If it is cloudy she will enjoy the warmth of her home and appreciate the color grey.  She is a woman of faith and believes in God; she sees every day and passes no judgment.  She accepts each day as it is and sees it as a gift to be appreciated and enjoyed.
Dom, Tingyu, and Popee

In the past I have written on the subject of rules to live by.  Stop and smell the roses are one of those rules.   I receive a great deal of joy from taking the time to enjoy a flowers essence and hearing the laughter of people at play.   After this ferry ride I realize I only enjoy the world when I choose.   Looking towards what will be and ignoring what is, equates to looking at a closed door.  That night D and I brought the boys together and we all looked at photo albums; it was a feel good night.  



 Keeping my eyes open is what makes staying focused worth the effort.

Go have some fun,

Geo

幸せで健康である

      


No comments:

Post a Comment