Sunday, February 26, 2012

Is it What I Do or What I Think That Defines Me?

I'm back

I just returned from one of the best family holidays I can remember having.  Popee, Phoenix, D and I went to the North East of Thailand; a place we had never been.  The tourist attractions included vineyards, a 7000 acre cattle ranch with steak house and tour, an adventure park with paint ball, zip line, ATV, bumper boats, go carts, mechanical bulls and horseback riding.
The B Boys

The Boys always enjoy adventure outings, I cannot say the same is true for me; I typically go through a three phase mental process for these types of excursions.

a.      Do I really want to do this

b.      I must be a good parent and do the things I do not want to do.

c.       I am looking forward to the day the boys are adult enough to leave me out of these things.

I think it would be an understatement to say that I was in need of an attitude adjustment. 
In all fairness there was a reason for me not being excited about going to amusement parks; my weight.  I was a Fat Man in Paradise where most people weigh under 100kg/220lb; I was too fat to be allowed on the majority of the rides or activities which basically meant I was left on the side lines watching rather than participating. 

This time was different for a couple of reasons;

a.      I followed my own advice and made sure to be present and appreciate every little detail and wonderment that is Mother Nature, love and family.

b.      My weight is down enough for me to participate and I did.

A few blogs ago I wrote that I am so focused that I cannot see and ever since then I have made a conscious effort to slow down and open my eyes.  The results have been remarkable; I am seeing things for the first time that I have passed by a hundreds of times before without noticing.  The world has turned from blur to a colorful potpourri of fragrance, sculptures, colures and life.
beauty

I am the same person and having a completely different experience; one guy is a miserable cuss and the other is a Dad have a blast.  What I do does define me but so does the way I think about what I am doing.   In my opinion the way I think and the things I do are like Siamese twins joined at the hip and impossible to separate.
Another wonderful day in paradise
Life is an adventure; the world is an oyster just waiting to be shucked.  Days start fresh and full of gifts; the smell of fresh coffee brewing in the morning, the cymbals of love ringing in the kitchen as breakfast is being prepared.  Birds singing, flowers blooming, and golden rays of sun shine glimmering off the dew drenched blades of grass that cushion my steps as I stroll through the garden.
pure happiness
In my opinion too much time is spent planning for the day to have fun; there is no need to plan; fun is in a smile, a kind gesture to someone in need, an encouraging word, a pleasant thought, a found memory, a laugh and a feeling of appreciation.  Happiness is a state of mind; it is not about doing but about being.
just taking it in
There is a personal responsibility if life is to be lived to it’s fullest; personal fitness and healthy habits.   I am guilty of not doing either and proud to say that I am doing both.  I smoke and I stop. I eat unhealthy empty carbohydrates and Trans fats and enjoy balanced green, leafy, colorful, wholesome foods.  Being conscious of my behavior has allowed me to participate more in the joy of life.   I am a Fat Man in Paradise and still learning what it means to be happy.

Go have some fun

Geo
My best friend, soul mate and partner


Live well and be happy

अच्छी तरह से रहते हैं और खुश रहो

Hindi

No comments:

Post a Comment