Thursday, September 22, 2011

Make it Better

Grrrrrrrr

My seven year old son enjoys eating, watching TV, playing with his dog, eating, riding his bike, eating, swimming eating and eating.  I have written about his emotional attachment to food before and he is getting better in regards to sharing.

work it baby
I realize a great deal of his compulsion to snack is more from boredom than hunger and a few days ago I had a serious heart to heart talk with him about this.   He is young so I kept it simple, and I said: “If you are bored read a book, if you are bored ride your bike, if you are bored practice the piano, if you are bored play with your dog, if you are bored do some sit ups, or hit the weight bag or help the staff with work around the property. If you are bored do something positive and stay away from food.”

good day at the bridge
Yesterday I was driving to the gym, the NFL has returned to morning television so I was running a bit behind schedule and experiencing one of my internal tugs of war on whether I actually wanted to train or have a nice lunch in one of the English pubs and people watch or have a deep tissue massage.  The choice had still not been made by the time I reached the car park hence the moment of truth had arrived.  I was feeling bored with training, I could park or play. 

phoenix age 6
Then I heard my inner voice ask me; “what can you do to make yourself better today?”  I parked and did a high intensity 60 minute session, took a sauna and walked away feeling stronger, spent, relaxed and empowered.
Today as I was riding the stationary bike I began to reflect on the conversation with my son and my own episode with temptation the day before.   The saying that adults are just children in bigger bodies never seemed truer and that’s why I decide to write the following:
If you are feeling bored do something to make yourself better
·         Read a book
Too few adults read for pleasure and it is a proven way to keep the mind sharp.
·         Start a project
Hobbies are another way to keep the mind working and completed projects are emotionally rewarding
·         Journal
Writing down your inner thoughts is opening a window to the soul
·         Go for a walk
Enjoy a stroll, take a deep breath of fresh air, look up at the sky and absorb the out of doors
·         Laugh
Laughter releases endorphins and is a great way to make you feel great.
·         Set some goals
Working on a plan that was made yesterday is a great way to make today fantastic
·         Finish what you started
Completing an unfinished project pays great emotional dividends

age 5

Tomorrow never comes, yesterday is history, and tomorrow is always today.  Our time is limited so let’s make the most of what we have been given and do something positive for ourselves to make it better.
Go have some fun,
Geo
do it now

No comments:

Post a Comment