Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Role Models vs. Mentor


                                                      http://www.jacklalanne.com/blog/
“Those that have the qualities we wish to have and those that affect our lives in way that makes us want to be better.”
A couple of post back I wrote my opinion on the pros and cons of personal trainers.  Given the above definition of a role model some may say their personal trainer is a role model fair enough. 
Is there a difference between a Role model and a Mentor and if so what is it?  Honestly I don’t have a clue however I do have an opinion on the difference between a Mentoring program and a Role Model.
I believe many relationships with Role Models are vicarious; admiration from afar without any personal contact.




My Role Models would be:
·         Dr. Pitkin’s
I ran across a used copy of his book back in the early 90’s it was published the early 60’s and he was already preaching about the evils of sedentary life styles, caffeine, nicotine, sugar and sodium.  He was way ahead of his time and prescribed some very useful, worthwhile information on physical fitness and diet.
·         Jack LaLaine
The guy has to go down in history as the God Father of fitness, I was watching his daily TV show before I even began going to school and he was still fit and strong until he died. He was in innovator, motivator, and creator of numerous successful fitness techniques, training equipment and philosophies to live by.    
I have never met and will never meet either of my Role Models as they are both deceased however their good work and inspiration continues to live on through books, tapes, institutes and products.


my black and white trainees

A Mentor in my opinion is more than a Role Model in that they are guides that educate, motivate and lead their students to a predetermined destination.  Pitkin’s was one of the first to open an in-residence wellness facility.
Fat Farms, Boot camps and weight management, residential facilities are doing a thriving business today.  I have never been to one but I am going to visit the Pitkin’s Centre in Miami next month and I am looking forward to seeing what they have go offer. 



My definition of a quality in resident wellness centre would offer hands on mentoring that would evaluate, motivate and educate all participants in a fun, relaxed, progressive environment.  If I were to enroll in a Centre I would want the following.
·         Health and Fitness evaluation: Medical test and fitness assessment
·         Food preparation: Teach me how to shop and cook healthy food
·         Diet: instruct me on how to plan a tasty healthy menu
·         Exercise:  Introduce me to several types of training methods
·         Tour: Take me out to explore
·         Party: Take me out and show me a good time.
In my vision in Mentoring facilities all the instructors are hands on guides that lead the participants to a life of mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual wellness. 


I plan to open a residential wellness facility in early 2112 with the anticipation that the good work that is done there will continue long after I have gone
Go have some fun
Geo  

No comments:

Post a Comment